The District feels that a very simple, clear, and concise mission is more apt to be remembered by all district stakeholders and thus, more likely to guide decisions and actions. Therefore, the mission of the Millersburg Area School District is:
The District feels the best way to express its vision is through a profile of what a graduate of the district should possess. Therefore, the vision of the Millersburg Area School District is to “empower 21st century learners, one student at a time” by having all of its graduates demonstrate:
- Students will demonstrate the ability to work effectively and respectfully with diverse groups/individuals.
- Students will exercise flexibility in making healthy compromises to accomplish a common goal.
- Students will assume shared responsibility for collaborative work, and value the individual contributions made by each team member.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to support the consensus of a team decision.
- Students will articulate thoughts and ideas using oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills in a variety of forms.
- Students will actively listen to develop deeper understanding.
- Students will communicate effectively in diverse environments.
- Students will responsibly utilize technology and multiple media platforms, and understand their impacts.
Creativity and Innovation
- Students will demonstrate originality and inventiveness.
- Students will analyze, evaluate, refine and elaborate ideas in order to improve and maximize creative efforts.
- Students will recognize existing limits and develop alternatives to overcome those limits.
- Students will act on creative ideas to make impactful and useful contributions.
- Students will view failure as an opportunity to learn.
- Students will understand that creativity and innovation are long-term, cyclical processes of small successes and frequent mistakes.
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Students will collect and analyze relevant information and validate its source.
- Students will think outside the box and demonstrate perseverance.
- Students will reason effectively in both the short and long term.
- Students will make sound judgments and decisions – considering the larger community.
- Students will identify, define, and solve problems and resolve conflicts.
Initiative and Self-Direction
- Students will set both short and long-term attainable goals.
- Students will utilize time and manage workload within realistic parameters.
- Students will monitor, define, prioritize, and complete tasks independently.
- Students will go beyond basic mastery of skills to expand learning and opportunities.
- Students will demonstrate commitment to learning as a lifelong process.
- Students will act responsibly, demonstrating accountability and ownership of actions and decisions with the interests of the larger community in mind.
- Students will model personal integrity, honesty, and ethical behavior.
- Students will be aware of personal health and choose healthy lifestyles.