GENERAL READING TIPS:
- Preview the text before reading: look at the cover, title, table of contents, subtitles, picture, illustrations, graphics, captions.
- Make predictions about what will come next as you read.
- Set a purpose for reading and make sure your reading matches your purpose (i.e. read slowly to understand new concepts while you read quickly when reading for enjoyment).
- Consider what you already know and connect it to new concepts.
- Skim the text before you read. It will help you focus on important parts of the text.
- Find the main idea of each paragraph so you know what is going on as you read and you won't end up confused many pages later!
- Pick out key details such as examples, facts, statistics, reasons, definitions, and descriptions.
- After you read, summarize it in your own words out loud or in writing.
If you are still having difficulty, try:
~ reading more slowly
~ re-reading parts that are confusing
~ look back at pictures, illustrations
~ Get help! Ask a teacher or parent for help.
Last Modified on September 5, 2014