Bucket Fillers is a program based off the educational programs of Merrill Lundgren, the Bucket Man. The book children's book Have You Filled a Bucket Today: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids by Carol McCloud is based on his programs and pioneering work in schools.
In my classroom, each child will decorate their own bucket and we'll put them on a bulletin board. Then, each child will be encouraged to help "fill" each other's buckets by writing kind words to them and celebrating the great things happening in our room! At the end of each week, we'll "empty" the buckets and read what was put in our buckets.
The Bucket-Filling school program has several CURRICULUM GOALS:
1. To teach children how to reach out and express love, respect and appreciation to others
2. To help children become other-centered rather than self-centered
3. To help children express their feelings (good and bad) in a healthy manner
4. To help children understand where feelings originate and how to protect their feelings from being hurt
5. To establish a framework for more constructive words and actions and less bullying
6. To create more positive home and school environments
Bucket Filling (showing love and respect for others)
Bucket Dipping (bullying)